• View Attachments and Other Features
  • Post Topics
  • Reply to Posts
  • Access the "Give Away of the Day" - Below the Shoutbox
  • Share tips and good company

Login          Register

gmhCafe Shoutbox

Related

Author Topic: what's goin' on  (Read 44868 times)

Offline neilmac

• Posting Freak
  • Nature's Friend
Re: what's goin' on
« Reply #90 on: April 08, 2014, 08:35:44 AM »
Good to hear, Glenn!
Good luck with the CD's :)

Offline Gazebo

• Regular Poster
  • Blinded by the Light...
    • Ken's Blog "Gazebo Notes"
« Reply #91 on: April 08, 2014, 03:36:33 PM »
Fascinating projects and well written.

Can't wait to hear the results.  Enjoy your creativity!
Twitter @krooharr

Latest album PRIME here: http://kenrawe.bandcamp.com/album/prime

Offline Glenn

• Alpha Wolf (when she's not around...lol)
  • The Crew
  • Commited Poster
  • Music and Nature's Harmony
    • gmhCafe
Two New CD's Re: what's goin' on
« Reply #92 on: August 25, 2014, 04:04:45 PM »
Fascinating projects and well written.

Can't wait to hear the results.  Enjoy your creativity!

thanks for your interest guys ...

Both CD's are now printed and packaged for distribution, ...  yippee!

and while I didn't get the 'exclusive' distribution deal from the 'Friends of Algonquin' who publish and distribute various products to their list of retailers, they did place an order, so we're very pleased to make this announcement.  :)

This means we'll be able to retail the two projects "Wolves Of Algonquin" & "Loons Of Algonquin" to our list of retailers and outlets we've developed over the years.

So far, those who have advanced copies have said they've really enjoyed the albums, and we're expecting sales to go well.

We've been so busy promoting and putting this together, we've not had time for much else.

I'm hoping we'll have the new CD's in the gmhCafe Store soon too!    (where has the summer gone?)

I'll post links etc as they become available.
 8)
Old Eastern saying "Man who run in front of car, - get tired .... man who run behind car, get exhausted"
I like to ride IN cars, it's less tiring and less exhausting :)

Offline way2lon

• The Crew
  • Commited Poster
  • You are not punished for anger but by it.
« Reply #93 on: August 26, 2014, 03:05:27 AM »
That sounds like really excellent news on your retail progress Glenn. I hope, when you make your first million, that you won't abandon your efforts with us poor struggling musos on this side of the fence. We will, more than ever need a mentor  :-*

(my father taught me sarcasm) (only now I call it satire)
REAL STUPIDITY BEATS ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE EVERY TIME

Offline Glenn

• The Crew
  • Commited Poster
    • gmhCafe
« Reply #94 on: December 10, 2014, 07:14:01 AM »
I've been working on a new CD ... another Music & Nature project called

"Spring Peeper Frogs" (For Sleep & Relaxation)

It actually came about as a result of a request for 'spring peepers' for sleep .... 
and I happen to have quite a few recordings of frogs including peepers, Gray Tree Frog, American Toad, Bull Frogs, Chorus Frogs and more.

Since the album is meant to help with sleep and relaxation, the music will be somewhat subdued so as not to interfere with 'drifting off', but rather, enhance that process. 

The CD features acoustic guitar, Folk guitar, Native Flute, Piano and keyboards, and Tabla drums/percussion. 

I have one more piece yet to compose to complete the CD which will run approx. 60min.

This was originally slated as the opening piece for the CD but I'm thinking it's more fitting as piece 2.
In case you haven't seen it posted elsewhere.. here it is for your convenience.

:)
Old Eastern saying "Man who run in front of car, - get tired .... man who run behind car, get exhausted"

Offline Glenn

• The Crew
  • Commited Poster
    • gmhCafe
« Reply #95 on: February 17, 2015, 02:17:14 AM »

A few days ago I got a call from a man, asking if I'd be able to record his son and daughter who are in their early 20's ... and have been singing together for many years, and he asked if I'd produce a CD for them to market for retail, and of course, he wants to have a recording of them before more time slips by.. it's been something he's been meaning to do for a long time, he told me.   8)  We parents all love to have recordings, pics, movies of our kids!  :)

Through the course of our subsequent meeting and conversation, I found out this man, his son and daughter (who are Native N. Am.) sing and drum in the traditional First Nation's style of music. 

The opportunity to record these two, performing original songs is exciting, and it feels good to be able to help them bring their music 'out there' to share with others.

=======

The Recording - Session 1

So today, we recorded the duo, - and going for a 'live off the floor' sound.. I chose to record with one stereo condenser mic, recording at 96KHz - 24bit - direct, no limiting or compression or EQ... this will be done in mix down.

I fed the mic output into my Peavey Mixer, so I could monitor with headphones and switch to speakers when needed... this allowed me to monitor the levels from an adjacent room, which worked out well.

Did a quick listening test, - covered the furnace blower vent duct in the room, removed a clock (tick tick) and warned that if any trains came by, we'd have to go for a re-take ... lol.   (luckily no trains came by)

The mic was placed near the center of the room, the two singers facing one another with mic in between them. They were both facing the center of the stereo mic so the voices are both in the middle of the stereo field instead of divided left and right side, as might normally be done with two singers. This arrangement also helped accommodate the hand drum that Loren was beating.  So all elements were recorded down the middle of the stereo field.

After a quick test, we shifted the mic just above head level so as to pick up more 'voice'  and less drum, yet still get the definition of the drum.   We then had to adjust the distance of the two singers from the mic to balance the energy in the voices - which meant putting a piece of tape on the floor to mark their standing position, so things would remain consistent from one recording to the next. They were about 3ft from the mic.

I calibrated the mic level to match my output meter levels on my mixer so I could see what the signal was doing as we recorded, and aimed at approx. -18 to  -12dB average levels with peaks slightly hotter than that, so there was still plenty of headroom in the recording (good thing too, because it got pretty dynamic at times).

Really enjoyable listening to these songs from Loren and Nancy today!

We only got half the songs recorded today, so it's another session booked next week. 

fun stuff!

P.S. >>  I won't be doing any mixing/editing till after all recording is done, but...   8)
I just had a quick listen to the recording and it sounds pretty good, even in it's raw state   8)

They'll be pleased, I'm sure.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 02:30:31 AM by Glenn »

Offline way2lon

• The Crew
  • Commited Poster
  • You are not punished for anger but by it.
« Reply #96 on: February 17, 2015, 05:13:41 AM »
Sounds exciting stuff Glenn. I hope we're going to have the chance of hearing an example when finished.
REAL STUPIDITY BEATS ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE EVERY TIME

Offline neilmac

• Posting Freak
  • Nature's Friend
« Reply #97 on: February 17, 2015, 12:04:37 PM »
Cool!
At least post a couple of snippets when you're done....and get them to join the Cafe! ;)

Offline Glenn

• The Crew
  • Commited Poster
    • gmhCafe
« Reply #98 on: February 18, 2015, 02:19:45 PM »
Sounds exciting stuff Glenn. I hope we're going to have the chance of hearing an example when finished.

I'm pretty sure we'll be able to post a tune or two along the way .... once I've got the 'green light'.

Cool!
At least post a couple of snippets when you're done....and get them to join the Cafe! ;)

If you've ever been to a Native "Pow Wow" - or seen some clips on YouToooob ... you may have heard or seen this duo already, as they've participated in many around the country.

I'll put forth an invite, ...   ;D
 ... having authentic Native North American Music here.. in their drumming and singing style would be a 'first' on gmhCafe -
...and it would be another spoke in the "Global Musician's" wheel ...  8)

8)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 02:23:29 PM by Glenn »

Offline Glenn

• The Crew
  • Commited Poster
    • gmhCafe
« Reply #99 on: March 12, 2015, 02:50:03 PM »
Update on the CD project we've been working on for our Native singers.

We finished all the tracking in session 2, which went well.  Did a re-take of one of the songs from session 1.

11 songs recorded in total.

All the songs are in the box now - waiting for importing into the DAW
... coming soon.

==========================
Side note: it was interesting to learn about the different types of Native hand drumming and styles of singing - some songs are for 'healing' while others are sung in 'competitions' and both have a different style.   There are various kinds of 'beats' or patterns as well - and I found it interesting to note that NONE have the pattern of ' bom bom bom bom, bom bom bom bom" where the accent is on the first beat - like most western movies portray, where you hear a so called 'native drum beat'.  I'm sure it must make some heads shake and gets a laugh or two from those who know better.

I think it's great that so many of the younger generation have embraced their heritage and are re-discovering their culture and finding expression through it! 

« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 02:54:16 PM by Glenn »

Offline Glenn

• The Crew
  • Commited Poster
    • gmhCafe
« Reply #100 on: March 16, 2015, 03:22:01 PM »
Update to the CD project with "Lorne & Nancy Pawis" Native Song & Drumming.

Recorded 'Live - off the floor" with a stereo Mic and digital recorder in 2 sessions. (mid/late Feb.)

While the artwork, front, back and inside front covers are being drafted, I'll be busy going over the recorded material, getting it prepared for the Mastering process.   8)

I've just finished cleaning up the 'non-content' of the recordings, so we are now working with clean raw files.   11 songs in total recorded. approx. running time = 40 minutes.

==================

Now it's on to processing and Mastering all this week.  :)

Since we weren't in a studio setting for the recording, - we were in a 12' X 15' living room -  Not ideal for recording, but we work with what we got!  8) (clocks removed, aquarium unplugged, furnace vent covered).  ;D

There likely won't be much heavy processing on this one, as I want to keep it as pristine as possible.  Some light compression, a few peak transient adjustments, RMS leveling and optimizing, some EQ, and possibly a tad (very minimal amount) of reverb to set the recording into a 'space' that replaces the dry 'room-ish' tell tale sound in the original recording. 

- hoping to have a 'listening session' with those involved in the project, later this week, and then do any needed re-tweaks, and then on to duplicating, printing, registering etc...  the CD should be on the market in a few weeks, by mid April/15 - :) 

We may also make the digital downloads available through our gmhCafe Store. will keep ya posted!

Offline Glenn

• The Crew
  • Commited Poster
    • gmhCafe
Our own little Pow Wow Re: what's goin' on
« Reply #101 on: March 20, 2015, 12:45:43 AM »
the blog continues...  ;D

Update >  Mastering is done on the new CD being produced for the native singers and drummers.

as expected, there wasn't a lot of call for much processing, - compression, EQ, a tad of reverb, and some RMS optimization,  - a few other special treatments for enhancement, but basically that was it.   

I'm happy with the way the master came out!

yeah, we had our own little Pow Wow tonight - a listening session of the Master  ... and they love it!  :)

so... the rest is a green light... on to the paperwork end of things (yuck) ... registering tunes etc...

someone else is taking care of the covers, and content etc...

after that it's on to the manufacturer in the big city.

I'll see about getting permission to post a sampler preview or clip of a couple of the pieces ... maybe as part of some extra promotion or something to help them get the CD launched. 

They're really excited about this release - their first CD!

stay tuned for updates.  :)

Glenn

« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 12:55:20 AM by Glenn »

Offline Glenn

• The Crew
  • Commited Poster
    • gmhCafe
Distant Trains Re: what's goin' on
« Reply #102 on: March 23, 2015, 03:14:34 PM »
I decided to go out and record the past few nights.   
Last year, while in the hospital, my 'room mate' asked if I had any train recordings, after he heard some of my other work on CD, so I told him I'd see about getting something produced and give him a call.

He said he likes to go to sleep while listening to the distant trains in the summertime when the window is open - it helps him get to sleep he said, and thought it would be nice to have a recording for the times he can't have the window open.  :)

Since the time of year is such that the bush is extremely quiet, no leaves, not much activity at all... I thought it would be a perfect opportunity to capture some of the 'distant Trains".

I already have lots of close up trains at crossings etc. but these aren't conducive to 'sleep' ... They are loud and in your face ... very dynamic, and not what I have in mind for a sleep CD.

I have to drive for about 30 minutes down the highway then on to the back roads toward the rail line.  This puts my mics in earshot of rumbles and whistles as the train passes going up or down the grade.   I like it when it goes up the grade as the sound of the engines begin to resonate ...   8)

Tonight, if the conditions are right, I may go back out and place 3 mics in different locations along the back roads in the same relative area - within good earshot of the distant trains and the train crossings so the whistle goes off at various times as the train sweeps across the panorama for 20 minutes or so.  I figure one of the mics will have a slightly 'better' recording because of ambient location.. so this is where numbers are good.. = options of which recording to use.  :)

Yep, it takes about 20 minutes for the train to approach, come to medium distance, and slowly fade off with the whistle blowing at the various crossings.  The key is to get the wanted sound to be close enough, but yet still sound 'distant'.  We want to hear the engines rumble and far off whistles echoing across the land.  That's my aim.  8)

So 3 trains going by would make an hour recording.  That will take all night 11pm - 5am  8) to record. And it may take more than one or two nights to get just the right sound, ambience, no planes or jets etc, - a nice challenge!  ;D

we'll see how it goes.

> Attached : a little clip of one of the segments I got the other night, it was snowing, so the mic picked up the snowflakes falling on the ground etc... so not the best recording for what I'm aiming at.
It'll give you an idea of what I'm going for though.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 03:53:40 PM by Glenn »

Offline neilmac

• Posting Freak
  • Nature's Friend
« Reply #103 on: March 23, 2015, 04:58:39 PM »
That's pretty cool!

Offline Old Goat

• Commited Poster
  • Songwriter/machinist
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #104 on: March 23, 2015, 08:56:26 PM »
Very nice, Glenn. Trains figure in a lot of my songs.

I grew up in Crystal City, Missouri, which is right on the Mississippi River, and webbed with railroad lines. Or it was in my youth. Only one is still used now.  Almost every place I have called home for a time has had the rails within earshot. I can hear a freight rolling by as I type. The whistle is both a call to go, and a sign of home. The only thing I miss here is the moan of the barge tows on the river.
Better a crust in peace than a feast in a house of contention.

www.cdbaby.com/edwardnull
http://www.soundcloud.com/edward-null