• View Attachments and Other Features
  • Post Topics
  • Reply to Posts
  • Access the "Give Away of the Day" - Below the Shoutbox
  • Share tips and good company

Login          Register

gmhCafe Shoutbox

Related

Author Topic: what's goin' on  (Read 44879 times)

Offline Glenn

• Alpha Wolf (when she's not around...lol)
  • The Crew
  • Commited Poster
  • Music and Nature's Harmony
    • gmhCafe
what's goin' on
« on: October 28, 2013, 04:59:39 PM »
It's been a busy summer/fall, and I haven't had much time for some of the things I've wanted to do, and to get done. 

I've met some great people in my travels and adventures, along the canoe routes etc... some, (who I'd thought might appreciate it - ) I've given CD's (Music and Nature) to for their personal enjoyment and relaxation. 

Seems I'm doing more and more 'catch up' stuff than I used to... not sure if that just means I'm busier, or that I'm slowin' down some! lol.  Either way, it sure gives a guy something to 'wake up to" each day.  So much to do - so little time to do it in, it seems.  8)   

One step at a time I guess... like anything that seems too big... how do you conquer it... like eating an elephant... just go one bite at a time! lol.

I've managed to complete several projects this year.. and I have a few more to complete yet.
Many of my CD projects are being distributed at several locations now, for retail - thanks to the hard work of Maureen.

Collaborations with other musicians has been a lot of fun, and rewarding too.

The Song Challenges that I've had time to participate in have been not only a good 'distraction' when I've been up to my ears in other projects, but they've allowed me the opportunity to write and finish some tunes that I'd likely not have been able to, had it not been for the 'challenge' of it all.

There've been a few times that I've felt "and the reason for doing this is... ? .... "  but then I've received PM's and emails and comments on some of the music that I've produced, posted, and shared, and the feedback has been very positive. 

I'm looking forward to plugging ahead with more editing of the recordings I've done out in the field, in the wilderness and on the lakes.  More projects in the works there.

...and more songs to finish, and to get started on...

and so it goes.

have a great day!

and post some music, pics, notes.... or just say 'howdy'...it's always nice to hear what others are doing too.  8)

Glenn :)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 05:03:08 PM by Glenn »
Old Eastern saying "Man who run in front of car, - get tired .... man who run behind car, get exhausted"
I like to ride IN cars, it's less tiring and less exhausting :)

Offline way2lon

• The Crew
  • Commited Poster
  • You are not punished for anger but by it.
Re: what's goin' on
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 04:33:09 AM »
Been a 'lifist' seemingly Glenn. Living it to the full. Isn't that what it's about?Nice to see you back here though.  :)
REAL STUPIDITY BEATS ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE EVERY TIME

Offline Glenn

• The Crew
  • Commited Poster
    • gmhCafe
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 02:28:04 PM »
Hey Way2 - yeah, makin' the most out of the time we have ... we tend to make time for the things that are 'important' to us.

===========

update>  So, here in Canada, and this part of Ontario - the season has been very mild really!  It's allowed me the time and opportunity to go out in the canoe and in the bush to record longer into the season than ever before.  The temps have been just reaching the freezing mark lately...

now the ponds are beginning to freeze over, the lakes are so cold you can't put your finger in the water for more than 30 seconds without feeling numb!  ??? 

I've been taking advantage of the sun - as it warms things up temporarily during the day - taking pictures and video and recording the sounds of the Canadian wilderness in the Fall.
I'm hoping to get a good close, and clear call from a moose, but no luck yet... it's all in the timing I guess.

In Algonquin Provincial Park ( for canoes ONLY, no motor boats) ...  there is a lake I've been visiting all summer and fall, following the growth and developement of 2 baby loons and their parents.

We've been documenting on video, the progression of the growth of these loons, as the season changes and the ice moves in, hoping they'll make it off the lake before they get caught in the 'freeze up' soon. 

There's still one young adolescent loon that is just getting it's wings, trying to fly, but unable to lift itself off the surface of the water.  Loons need a very VERY long runway in which to get airborn .... maybe 300 to 400 meters or more.

It's parents and older sibling left the lake over a week ago, and now, it's been left to fend for itself, survival of the fittest comes into play here, it is the only visible animal on the lake except for a few wood ducks ....  but it's interesting that the sound of many birds have populated the area that was silent 2 weeks ago... I believe this is because migrating birds from up North, are stopping off for a break on their way South for the winter.

I hope I'll be able to get back to the lake to record the little loon flying away on it's first migration - if the snow and ice don't block me from getting there. (safety first).

Much of the video I'm taking of the loons is going toward the production of our Video we're doing on the "Loons of Algonquin - The First Migration".    We're making it as it happens, and we don't know how it's going to conclude at this point.  8)

not sure how this is going to end up.... but if you want to see what we're up to, you can view the video production of what we have so far... and tune back in as we produce more 'parts' to the movie/documentary as we go.  I think there'll be about 5 parts in all.

here's a link to the parts we have so far
http://www.gmhcafe.ca/gforums/index.php?topic=895.msg5164#msg5164

Enjoy!
Glenn
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 12:32:16 PM by Glenn »
Old Eastern saying "Man who run in front of car, - get tired .... man who run behind car, get exhausted"

Offline Maureen

• The Crew
  • Commited Poster
  • The casual gardener
    • Music and Nature Recordings
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 09:00:33 PM »

We've been documenting on video, the progression of the growth of these loons, as the season changes and the ice moves in, hoping they'll make it off the lake before they get caught in the 'freeze up' soon. 

There's still one young adolescent loon that is just getting it's wings, trying to fly, but unable to lift itself off the surface of the water.  Loons need a very VERY long runway in which to get airborn .... maybe 300 to 400 meters or more.

It's parents and older sibling left the lake over a week ago, and now, it's been left to fend for itself, survival of the fittest comes into play here, it is the only visible animal on the lake except for a few wood ducks ....
I hope I'll be able to get back to the lake to record the little loon flying away on it's first migration - if the snow and ice don't block me from getting there. (safety first).

Glenn

One of the sites I read while researching Loons said that some young loons stay behind, and continue to eat, fattening up to  make the long journey south.  But at a point, it becomes a "double edge sword" so to speak. 

Loons bodies are not adapted for cold weather, so they burn more energy trying to stay warm in the north.  The colder the temperatures, the more food they need to consume to get the calories to stay warm.  Causing them to fish more,  using more energy and calories. 

Eventually it becomes self defeating - Calories used for staying warm, and fishing take away from the calories they need to migrate south.   :o    and either they get trapped in the North, or struggle to make the long journey to a warmer climate.   

As much as I'd like to see the young loon again, I'm hoping it has started the migration, as it's pretty nippy here now.  brrr.   (motherly instincts kicking in here.  lol)    The weather forecast is showing good weather coming up (for this time of year)... so maybe we can get in one more canoe trip.   ;)

Offline way2lon

• The Crew
  • Commited Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 05:28:25 AM »
And I thought Scotland was cold.............Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr  :o

Offline Glenn

• The Crew
  • Commited Poster
    • gmhCafe
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 12:43:35 PM »
And I thought Scotland was cold.............Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr  :o

yeah... and I'd like to go see if the loon made it off the lake yet .... snowing today... but sun is supposed to shine tomorrow.
We'll see... I'll keep you posted.

8)

Offline Glenn

• The Crew
  • Commited Poster
    • gmhCafe
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 11:33:49 AM »
We were out on the lake shooting some more video yesterday, while the sun was shining.
We got that segment done just on time I think... rain and snow is supposed to be on this weeks menu.

I may head out one more time just to get some good 'frozen lake' pics etc. for some good closing scenes.

8)

Offline Glenn

• The Crew
  • Commited Poster
    • gmhCafe
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 07:52:43 PM »
I just edited some recordings from the wilderness - recorded Sept 24/25 .... and

I have a few moose calls from a distant bay on the lake I was recording night sounds etc.  As dawn approached, a moose came near the shore, followed by another moose in the same area... I think one is a cow, the other - a bull.

If I can optimize the file so it's listenable, I'll post it, if anyone's interested in hearing it.

Now that I've been getting longer record times from a single session, it sure makes editing a lot more tedious... but in the long run, I think there's more yeilded from the extra effort.

:)

Offline Glenn

• The Crew
  • Commited Poster
    • gmhCafe
Re: The Doc's - what's goin' on?
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, 03:19:56 PM »
going in for some minor surgery tomorrow.. just found out it got bumped up to first thing in the morn.

nothing serious I guess ( the doc will explore and find out )

but serious enough to get me in right away ahead of the line up.  :o

never been put 'under' before... or been in the hospital for anything like this..

wish me luck!
 8)

Offline way2lon

• The Crew
  • Commited Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2013, 06:04:37 PM »
I hope everything goes well for you Glenn.

Offline Joom

• I am a
  • The Crew
  • Commited Poster
  • Just a drop of water in an endless sea...
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2013, 06:12:22 PM »
Good luck, Glenn...  ;)
A computer once beat me at chess - but as it turns out it was no match for me at kickboxing... ;)

Offline Old Goat

• Commited Poster
  • Songwriter/machinist
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2013, 07:49:07 PM »
I hate going out, but I've been under twice this year and came out no worse than I was. I suspect my 4 concussions have messed me up worse than the anesthesia. :P

Good luck, man.
Better a crust in peace than a feast in a house of contention.

www.cdbaby.com/edwardnull
http://www.soundcloud.com/edward-null

Offline Glenn

• The Crew
  • Commited Poster
    • gmhCafe
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2013, 08:33:31 AM »
thanks for the thoughts guys.. it means a lot! 

Unfortunuately, the appointment got rescheduled...  feels like musical chairs!

guess it'll be into the new year now, as today was the last chance before Xmas.

now I wait some more.

:-X

Offline neilmac

• Posting Freak
  • Nature's Friend
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2013, 09:19:50 AM »
Isn't that aggravating?
Oh well....at least you can relax and enjoy Christmas :)

Offline Glenn

• The Crew
  • Commited Poster
    • gmhCafe
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2013, 06:22:03 AM »
yep, you said it Neilmac!

There's so much snow here, the highways are being closed, schools closed etc ... cancellations abound!

It's the Great White North after all!

now, where's that shovel... oh yeah, probably buried in snow! lol
 :-X